Skip to main content

Episode 4:


Poets in conversation about exploring the receptive mode of poetry therapy.


 In the 4th circle, team KaavyaCure explored the receptive mode of poetry therapy with modern poets. 


A researcher named Mazza (1999, 2003) developed a three-component, multidimensional poetry therapy practice model. The first component, receptive/

prescriptive (R/P), involves the introduction of already existing poetry (or other forms of literature) in a therapeutic context. The purpose could include validating a feeling, promoting self-disclosure, & advancing group discussions. This session of audio live was hosted by Sharon. Manali Desai was our guest poet for the same.



Sharon Genevive is the community architect of Arts, Culture and Media community on Mentza (Mentza is a social live-audio platform that is designed for short 20 minutes group conversations. It enables empathetic exchange that drives continuous growth.).


Owing to certain technical difficulty, she gladly took to hosting the show on behalf of Sukanya.


 Post exchanging greetings with the guest poet for the day, Manali Desai (Manali is the author of Love try angle and The art of being grateful. Besides that, she runs a youtube channel and a book blog under the title of 'A rustic mind' ), Sharon asked her to go ahead and recite a poem as a part of the therapy session.


Manali read out an ode to her 'Mr. Anxiety'


Hello, Old Friend


It’s been a while

We haven’t properly met,

Since that time I managed to speak about myself through trembling speech and body, in front of my batchmates.

You do show up every now and then,

Like yesterday when someone asked me, “Do you consider yourself successful?”

And I hesitated just a bit before going on to explain what success means to me.

Or that day a few months ago,

When someone said, “I don’t believe people are paying you for this!”

And I felt a blow to my ego but quickly recovered as I reminded myself that one person’s opinion didn’t matter.

I also faintly recall,

You popping up in between my deadlines and ongoing tasks, making me doubt if I’ll be able to deliver.

But I’m too focused and stubborn now, to let you deter me from my goal.

Do I miss you?

No, because you’re still very much there.

We have been friends for too long,

My dear Mr. Anxiety.

But it has been a while for sure!

Because you are in me and a part of me.

However, your nemesis, Mr. Self-confidence,

Is doing just a tad better lately.


The participants kept sharing their feedback about how relatable the poem was and what emotions the lines invoked in them.


When asked about her thoughts about the initiative of KaavyaCure she shared that she always believed in the healing power poetry 

"I really like the initiative.. Never thought one could promote poetry as a means of therapy... I mean it's always been healing and therapeutic for me.. But I didn't know it could be so for many.."


Manali's second and ultimate poem for the day was as follows:


Can You Help Me Understand?

A person’s gender,

Becomes a deciding factor,

For their education, career, marriage, family, freedom, choices,

Just about anything they do in life

Can you help me understand?

Why does it matter if someone is he, she, or they, and can’t we accept each other as ‘humans’ first?


A person’s sexuality,

Becomes questionable and debatable,

Against nature, religion, culture, and whatnot

Every which way, there’s a lack of acceptance

Can you help me understand?

Why does it matter who a person wants to love when we’re all actively always seeking and craving for it?


An individual’s religion,

Is assumed or asked about,

Before getting to know who they are and what they do,

An assessment and a report card is issued, without any examination

Can you help me understand?

How does which family or region we are born into, make us different from one another?


Sharon Genevive
 Community Architect of Arts, Culture and Media community on Mentza.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional and Intellectual Benefits of Writing Poetry

Emotional and Intellectual Benefits of Writing Poetry

When Do I Write? by Dr. Christine M. Du Bois

  When Do I Write?